Reply to post: Re: The new Doctor isnt doing too bad

US kids apparently talking like Peppa Pig... How about US lawmakers watching Doctor Who?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: The new Doctor isnt doing too bad

The problem with Doctor Who is that the stories have the subtly of a teenagers hastily written story for a school assignment on feminism and diversity.

These kind of stories can be a lot better, I am currently binge watching the Orville (sure I know Seth McFarlane isn't everyone's cup of tea but he does play it largely "straight" with a joke here and there), and the stories cover similar themes at times but you don't really notice that much because it's done well, female officers are treated identically to male, various races including aliens are well represented and equally promoted and encouraged to seek more responsible roles (forget skin colour, or race, when you are an amorphous blob of gel being given a position of responsibility, I'd say that's pretty inclusive ).

The Executive Director, & screenwriter of the Orville worked on a number of Star Trek series and movies and it shows by the great stories they have, the new Dr Who on the other hand constantly complains how useless men are, and we have a man giving birth because...well just because..(Red Dwarf did it way better years before), I pretty much stopped watching at that point because it was way to preachy, you have to like the main character in something like this, and though Jody Whittaker is great she is lumbered with appalling scripts, poor stories and too many sidekicks.

Fire Dr Who's scriptwriters and get someone in who can write good stories and we can see it climb the ratings again, regardless of whether the Dr is male or female, just treat the audience maturely (yes even the kids who watch it)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon