Reply to post: Re: LOL

Only plebs use Office 2019 over Office 365, says Microsoft's weird new ad campaign

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: LOL

"In software, if you make a good-enough product, you deprive yourself of the chance to sell later versions. People won't pay to move away from what works without a very good reason."

Yes, their previous modus operandi was to tweak the file formats with each new release, then realise that older version were incompatible with the new version and then spend 6 months developing a fix so older versions could at least read the newer versions. By which time so many companies who had not upgraded to the latest version were so frustrated by getting the new format documents that they were forced to upgrade so as not to appear to be luddites by continually asking suppliers, customers, clients to re-send documents in the "old" format.

Back when I still needed to use MSOffice, I tended to automatically use Save As and select the previous version of Office for the file format if I was sending a copy outside our org. That vastly increased the chances of them being able to read it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon