Reply to post:

El Reg eyes up Article 13 draft leak: Will new Euro law give Silicon Valley more power? Some lawyers think so

whitepines

With the current implementation of copyright I'm more of the opinion that even 14 years is too long. There's a definite trend toward requiring people to individually ask the rights holder for permission to view a work each and every time (for movies this is uniformly the case, especially with streaming and "digital downloads", but even Blu-ray is problematic). Either that gets fixed (including explicitly allowing breaking DRM for any legal reason including format shifting and resale of a work) or really I'd suggest a 5 year or less "exclusive marketing period" to replace all of copyright as it stands today.

Or we can all stick our heads in the sand and either 1.) commit mass civil disobedience through "piracy" (granted this does seem to be happening already) or 2.) tear down the entire old system by embracing copyleft works only (there's a minority doing this as well). I'd think changing the law is preferable given those two outcomes, especially as the latter will lead to a lot of real life starving artists...

Bootnote: There was a German study that concluded copyright is beneficial up to around 20 years and definitely harmful after that. It should be required reading for incoming lawmakers in all Western nations. I don't think it factored in DRM and streaming though; those "innovations" likely shorten the beneficial period even further.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon