Reply to post: Re: I'm not sure which is worse

Year after being blasted for dodgy security, GPS kid tracker biz takes heat again for leaving families' private info lying around for crims

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm not sure which is worse

I know which I think is worse: the for-profit company that should be expected and mandated to perform better. Not parents who, mostly, genuinely think they're making a safe and wise decision for their kids. Tougher penalties for companies who fail to meet safe standards should be applied too. Whether it's unsafe toys that may come apart and be a choking hazard or poorly written applications that potentially expose kids to risks not made apparent to consumers, there should be a minimum responsibility to be upheld.

Parents (of which I am one) generally DO want what's best for their kids. My son is only 2 and a half so way too young for ANY kind of connected tech or significant screen time but as his dad, I want to look after him. Most of the time currently this means actually doing some parenting: most of his waking time is spent with his parents, family or guardians. But at some point he'll be old enough to need to be more independent and there will be a period of time where he's wanting to explore his independence (which we'll wholeheartedly encourage) but when he'll be too young to be completely off the radar. Additionally, as someone who was something of a rascal when I was much younger, I realise that my parental responsibilities don't end when he leaves the house. In fact, it could be argued that that's where they really begin.

If technology can help bridge that gap, letting us know where he is (until he's old enough to have earned the level of privacy that makes his whereabouts none of our business) and that he's safe and that he's not being an idiot (and, let's face it, at some point in their youth, most of us males tend to be fairly stupid at times), then I'm all for it.

It's just a shame that I have to be skeptical of the products that claim to be able to help with this.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon