Reply to post: Re: STUPID STUPID STUPID

Post-Brexit plan for .EU tweaked: No dot-EU web domains for Europeans in UK, no appeals, etc

Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: STUPID STUPID STUPID

Bah, I wrote an even longer reply, but it got zapped (my end) because computers are crap, so I'll try and recap. In summary:

"But globalism is seemingly not in vogue at the moment, so the EU is forcing a geographic separation on something that doesn't have or need one. It's hard to imagine how someone owning a .eu domain that lives in the UK is a threat whatsoever to the registry. But then nothing about Brexit makes any sense, so why should domain names be any different?

It's the *UK* that currently doesn't believe in globalism; it's the *UK* that wants out of EU. Yet, somehow, the person leaving the consortium should be able to make the rules - that being, I wish my personal domain to remain associated with the EU's TLD, thereby retaining any benefit / glamour / cachet acquired, however direct or indirectly, by that connotation.

As usual, just like Trumpers, they want the cake and be able to eat it, too.

Firstly, I did not make that comment that you pasted.

Secondly, we are talking about *pre-existing* domains, not new registrations.

Thirdly, you appear to be of the view that everyone in the UK voted to leave.

I don't hear any brexitters complaining - the people who legitimately use .eu are pro-europe.

So, nothing like the trumpets. We never wanted this "cake".

".eu" on the label has a certain worldwide connotation of "Continental", which leaving the EU now breaks. Permanently. You want Brexit because you don't want Europe to "tell you want to do", but you want to retain .eu domains in order to benefit from any additional sheen that they may be able to grant themselves in the future. EU economy running well, but UK still suffering from Brexit-itits? My domain is .eu! Really, as a customer you'll get the benefits of our growing economic qualities!

Not.

If you think ".eu" means "continental", then you are wrong. Besides, whether you consider Britain part of Continental Europe or not, that matter doesn't change because of a brexit ruling.

And if you're going to repeat yourself, so will I.

No, WE DON'T WANT BREXIT.

THAT'S what the EU is protecting. You want any and all benefits? Then you must stay in. You want to go? That's fine, we can't hold you back...but you get NOTHING. There is NO reason to grant you ANY benefits out of your stubborn desire to be selfish because, then, what is the benefit to those who stay and make [any necessary] sacrifice for the greater good?

No benefit at all. It's the UK breaking off the engagement as they decide to play the field, then coming back years later and crashing the ex's wedding party for the buffet and open bar.

Big. Fat. NO.

Again, WE WANT TO STAY IN.

It's more like someone else breaking off the engagement (through no fault of the fiancee), and then the ex-partner taking revenge on the innocent guy.

Or, how about you have a business that's built around your domain name. You've build an address that is recognisable for email and it's website.

Then one day, someone tells you you are losing your domain name in 2 months because of some bureaucracy outside your control. Not only are they refusing to honour the time you've already paid for, they aren't even going to refund the cost of that time, yet alone any further expenses.

To make matters worse, when you complain, some guy in The Registers comment section tells you it's your own damn fault!

Listen, I'm glad you commented - too many Americans don't as they believe it's none of their business... Get right in there, like we do with American stories!

However, please realise more than 16 MILLION people voted to stay in the EU, and now, the vast majority don't want to leave.

You don't expect us to blame you personally for Trump: Don't blame me for brexit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon