Reply to post:

Apple: Trust us, we've patented parts of Swift, and thus chunks of other programming languages, for your own good

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

The hard part about a patent application is the claim set. Your patent lives or dies by the claims. And I sure hope those were not lifted verbatim from your emails, since that most likely would leave you with a narrow scope of protection.

And there are many reasons for what may look arcane. In particular, there are extremely good reasons to discuss embodiments. In some jurisdictions you are obliged to disclose the preferred/best embodiment.

As with any profession the client will have an opinion on the work depending on the conduct of the professional but is, strictly speaking, not able to determine the quality of work. That is why people can be happy with their doctor, even though he/she failed to see the illness that should have been discovered, or the lawyer drafted an agreement that failed to stand up in conflict. And it is when push comes to shove that you get to see the true quality. In case of medicine it can kill you. In my case, performing due diligence on patent portfolio I have surprised many clients with my analysis, showing that their claims did not cover what they wanted or needed.

And that is why professions have governing bodies that maintains the ethical standards.

So if you are unhappy with the job done you should discuss the matter with him/her and at least give a change to clarify before attacking their reputation. It is part of the job to work hard but without talking all the time how hard it is, the client wants results.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon