Reply to post: Re: Did Microsft pulled Windows when if was forced to offer the ballot and open up interoperability?

Colour us shocked: Google in €50m GDPR fine appeal bombshell

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Did Microsft pulled Windows when if was forced to offer the ballot and open up interoperability?

"Are they really?"

In my experience yes - in a business or social situation, suggesting ways that people can address privacy issues in a meaningful way rarely results in long term change (i.e. more than a few weeks) as the convenience of the services offered for the majority of people outweighs the loss of privacy.

I'm not trying to push a pro-Google agenda, I'm trying to be realistic about how people actually behave in spite of knowing how information maybe used - pretending we can significantly alter the behavior of mobile users by fining Google is delusion IMHO. It only works as long as the fines are minimal (relative to the cost of fighting them/overall profits) and the changes required to comply are minimal tweaks to existing agreements so that the majority of users just accept the updated terms and conditions.

i.e. Google get their hands on the majority of their users data and regulators get a nice fine to show they did something.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon