Reply to post:

Court orders moribund ZX Spectrum reboot firm's directors to stump up £38k legal costs bill

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I'd almost forgotten about that, but the "Recreated ZX Spectrum" really wasn't much better. As you say, it was effectively just a Bluetooth keyboard in a case that looked like the original Spectrum, but there was a lot of dubiousness surrounding *that* too.

Apparently it requires emulators to be designed specifically to work with it, but the Android app it required was withdrawn from the Play store. (I'm not entirely sure whether it can be used as a standard Bluetooth keyboard in most situations). It's also not clear whether everyone backing the Kickstarter actually received their device.

If the Recreated Spectrum project doesn't come off looking quite as bad as the Vega+ fiaso, that says more about the awfulness of the latter than the success of the former.

Has the Spectrum Next project got the licensing it need already. Because it strikes me that two botched Spectrum-related projects are going to make Sky (who own the Sinclair brand and Spectrum IP) somewhat wary about being associated with anything apparently similar again, even though the Next looks far more reputable, and interesting...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon