Reply to post: Re: "Thin&Light" means Piece Of Shit.

Stage fright or Stage light? Depends how far you dare to open your MacBook Pro's lid

JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: "Thin&Light" means Piece Of Shit.

The reply said "if you can achieve that without fans, then fans aren't needed", which is about as useful and relevant as saying "stop moaning about the screen light, if you can see the screen perfectly without it, it's not needed", or "stop moaning about the bad keyboard. If the computer can read your typing requirements telepathically, you don't need it"

Precisely the point just because you don't need it doesn't mean someone won't. I was in a department store that rhymes with Ron Fewis, a few years ago. I asked if they had any portable radios with short wave and medium wave capabilities. The sales assistant told me that I didn't want those and DAB was what I needed. He then pointed me to several DAB/FM models. I said that wasn't the case I did need those bands and did they have anything? Again he tells me that all the stations are on DAB now "even abroad" so having those bands isn't necessary.

I explained that I wanted a portable because I planned to use it as a travel radio and in the USA and other places they don't use DAB. As that's where I intended to use the radio on my trips over there, having DAB was totally useless. Boy was that a surprise to him. No they didn't have anything and probably wouldn't again. He had no idea that anything still broadcast on SW (I listen to international broadcasters and the Atlantic HF air traffic control, to help get to sleep) and wanted to know what I listened to on MW. I said 1010 WINS and the Red Sox Radio Network. The latter is also broadcast on FM but not in the areas I visit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon