Reply to post:

Ever feel like all your prayers go unheard? The Catholic Church has an app for that

Waseem Alkurdi

@Voyna i Mor

This means that the god requires information capacity greater than all the information in the universe, as well as the ability to circumvent light speed, special and general relativity, and the Uncertainty Principle.

All of these being principles and laws that we know to exist inside our universe. Do they exist outside (if there was an outside per se)? We don't know presently.

Now, what created this god?

Probably everybody's favorite axiom.

Suppose we find machinery on the Moon that wasn't left by any country from Earth beyond any shadow of doubt. A logical conclusion would be that they were put in place by extra-terrestrial intelligence, aka aliens.

Do we have to know who created the aliens to know that they are the best explanation? Who are the aliens, who created them, and what color is their skin are all irrelevant to making the conclusion that it's aliens who did this.

So if the universe had a creator, presumably the creator of the universe had a creator and so ad infinitum (avoiding Oxford pronunciation please.)

The infinite regression sword cuts both ways. Heard of the domino analogy?

A domino topples another, toppling the next one, until the last domino falls.

But without a first domino falling (the first creator creating), there wouldn't be a domino cascade.

Therefore, the creation cascade can't go on forever.

The scientific viewpoint is that a creator god has about the same status as Russell's Teapot but is even less open to experiment.

Presently, yep. It's not open to direct scientific observation.

But that's the whole point of creation. To find out whether God exists or not. Pointless or not, like it or not.

The leaders of god-based religions short circuit the process by asserting that e.g. it's blasphemous to ask the questions. Their entire schtick is based on refusal to think.

I totally agree. Laws are made to be broken, and there's frankly no such thing as a prohibited thought. Whether we like it or not, we're eventually crossing over the line and thinking about "prohibited stuff".

and his mission in life was to get them to do social work, benefit their community, and stop bashing Catholics

That's it? That's his whole point of living?

If there's no God, then why even bother? Let them fight ... aren't we all dying?

How many of the well educated clergy of the respectable churches think that I wouldn't venture to speculate; but I think it is a significant number.

You just did what you said you don't want to do.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon