Reply to post: Re: What is worng with facial recognition

Amazon shareholders revolt on Rekognition, Nvidia opens robotics lab, and hot AI chips on Google Cloud

JohnFen

Re: What is worng with facial recognition

What is wrong with face recognition?

First, it has a high false-positive rate, so using it in a law enforcement or public safety capacity is automatically problematic just because of that.

Second, it's putting more power into the hands of authorities that have consistently demonstrated over many decades that they can't be trusted with power. Nothing like this should be used in such a capacity without muscular oversight.

Third, it's expanding a surveillance state that inherently restricts legitimate behavior.

I have more, but that's probably enough for now.

"Once there is enough coverage, society will become crime free and safe, resulting in huge cost reductions for law enforcement."

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here or not. If you are, then my apologies. But it simply cannot result in the utopia you describe here. Even if it could, at what cost? I'd rather live as a free person in a dangerous world than as an unfree person in a safe world.

"It is very weird people would oppose technological progress so beneficial for society"

That would be very weird. Perhaps the issue is that it's not so clear this is beneficial for society on the whole.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon