Reply to post: Did something similar

You were told to clean up our systems, not delete 8,000 crucial files

Aussiekraut

Did something similar

About the same time as the OP, I had a little issue with an Outlook user.

To keep disk space usage in check, I configured Outlook to automatically delete the "deleted items" folder on exit. One day I worked on my Boss' machine and did the same. The next day I get a frantic phone call with my boss telling me all his emails were gone. So off I went and had a look and they were all there. He then said no, not the ones in the rubbish bin. I told him I set Outlook to delete them on exit and he almost took my head off. Apparently, when he wanted to get an email out of his face but keep it for later, he just hit delete and used his rubbish bin as his mail archive! Well, this was all POPed mail and there was no backup of workstation disks (the boss also was a stingy bugger), so all his old mails were gone for good. He wasn't impressed and didn't like the question if he uses his rubbish bin under the desk as his filing cabinet and tell the cleaner off for emptying it either. But he took my advice to keep mails elsewhere, not in the rubbish to heart and luckily didn't sack me either.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon