Reply to post:

The D in SystemD stands for Dammmit... Security holes found in much-adored Linux toolkit

DCFusor

@Lee - Precisely from me too.

Now that there even IS a man page for systemd...wow. Back when it was breaking things like boot time mounts of NFS filesystems in /etc/fstab, I looked for some workaround on the 'net and found that you could make a .mount thing - that worked for about 2 distro updates (not upgrades) before the workaround was broken by a fix to an issue that originally had an E_WONTFIX tag...and now NFS mount in fstab works again.

I just checked the man page that now exists. To be sure, the usual bafflegab and when you have to link to a website, you've already failed. I note that no where in the "see also" 'is the name of the manpage you really need if you're customizing a desktop or other on-prem specialized machine -

sysd_service_file

Now, being that just about zero other man pages even have underscores in the name...how again was I supposed to guess that one?

How about if some daemon takes too long to start and systemd starts it over and over again without killing the previous attempt till the system goes down, as it did with Conky?

How about becoming unable to reboot if something mentioned in fstab can't be unmounted because it was never mounted due to another bug, or because someone manually unmounted it. I bet people who have to drive to a site to fix that got real happy.

Could some of the hostility be due to breaking things, and then breaking the workarounds, all while not ever admitting there was a problem in the first place?

Sorry about the double post above - the site said something messed up so I typed things in a second time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon