Reply to post: Re: Re-seller

Senator Wyden goes ballistic after US telcos caught selling people's location data yet again

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Re-seller

In today's world I just assume my phone can be tracked by my carrier, and that isn't going to change regardless of who I choose. If there were real privacy protection then I might choose my provider more carefully, and be willing to pay more for a greater assurance of privacy like I do with my phone. There will never be 100% privacy protection (even if you assume companies always keep to the letter of their privacy policies) but some is better than none.

The current situation with cell companies is far worse than with phones - while Google collects every detail about your life they don't directly sell that info to third parties they only allow effectively allow its use by using it to target their ads. If you're wanted by a bail bondsman, they can't get Google to tell them where you are (i.e. where your Android is) but it seems they can with all the major cellular companies in the US. That's bad. Very bad.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon