Reply to post: Re: The only reason "everyone" runs Outlook is because "everyone" uses Exchange.

Encryption? This time it'll be usable, Thunderbird promises

Jeremy Allison

Re: The only reason "everyone" runs Outlook is because "everyone" uses Exchange.

I'll take Samba, as it's the one I know most about. Samba actually is "there", if by "there" you mean active use in many, many OEM products. It's not "there" as a general out-of-the-box user-installable Windows server replacement, that's probably true, but over the years I think we're realized that's not exactly where we want to be. The argument is "are we a product" or "are we a set of technologies". I personally think we're a set of technologies that other people use to build products, though opinions can differ of course.

I guarantee there are many many commercial products that you use daily that have Samba embedded in them (many cloud storage gateways as well as on-premises storage for example). So yeah, we're "there" in that respect.

Wine is becoming the same via Valve investment in Steam on Linux I think. That's their way forward. It's harder for LibreOffice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon