Reply to post: "What are you, a fucking 8-year-old? It's a TV series for children."

My 2019 resolution? Not to buy any of THIS rubbish

MonkeyCee

"What are you, a fucking 8-year-old? It's a TV series for children."

I take you didn't actually watch this season then? Dead Nan/wife, the grieving process, sexism, paternal responsibilities, dehumanizing work practices, automation of work and loss of identity, the partition of India and subsequent ethnic cleansing (with bonus fratricide) are a bit more young adult than kids stuff.

It's been a good season, but it's brought me to tears more than a few times. Which may be an adult thing, or an absent father thing*, or one of the joys of being a parent**, but dismissing Dr Who as a kids show misses quite a lot of the point.

Plus there's the general message of non-violent compromise**, respect for life and trying to understand what the other person wants.

So it might be a kids show, but it's a damn sight better than most adult shows out there.

*"You don't have to be the best parent, you just have to be there"

** The whole "dead kid" as a characters backstory is depressingly common. Went from "yeah, whatever" to "I can't watch this" after my son came along.

*** OK, feeding an alien an anti-matter bomb may not be entirely non-violent :D

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon