Reply to post:

Um, I'm not that Gary, American man tells Ryanair after being sent other Gary's flight itinerary

Lee D Silver badge

Same problem.

There's a guy with my name with a Littlewoods Ireland account who obviously never pays his bill. I tried a few times to correct them, now I just send them to spam. Had the same with RyanAir and Paypal and a couple of others.

I have in the past written a nice letter to another guy (also in Ireland, my surname is apparently quite common there but I've never been there myself) who signed up for a Paypal account, added a credit card and then got a friend to send him loads of money. I could quite easily have confirmed the account, changed the passwords and spent such money and there'd be little they could do about it (for a start, they wouldn't be able to get back into the account!).

But I'm a nice guy. I wrote a nice letter (all I had that I was sure of was a postal address), got a nice one back, the account got closed a few days later.

But it happens regularly. Plenty of people sign up for things thinking that my email is their email. I don't even bother to chase it now. I just bin them. They're nothing to do with me, and I'm not going to go logging into people's accounts playing pranks in case it gets classed as fraud by misrepresentation.

The funny bit is that not once have I ever used the real underlying account for anything - everything I do is forwarded from my own domain name to a mailbox that just acts as a convenient collection point. And I use a different alias for every company that I deal with.

As such, just binning anything from Littlewoods or RyanAir or similar that arrives in my account without having been forwarded from my domain name is very simple.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon