Reply to post: Re: The anti-vaping lobby

Your mates vape. Your boss quit smoking. You promised to quit in 2019. But how will Big Tobacco give it up?

whoseyourdaddy

Re: The anti-vaping lobby

(made by cuddly, loveable GlaxoSmithKline) Yeah, I agree. But, they aren't the worst of the bunch.

I discovered my genetics takes all the fun out of getting fat. Nighttime GERD and all sorts of stomach problems. A gastrologist introduced me to this then-prescription wonder drug called Prilosec, an Acid-pump inhibitor the FDA approved here in the states to help heal ulcers faster. Typical drug regimen for FDA approval was for six months maximum, not years and years as people tend to keep their weight and just fix that symptom..

Astra-Zeneca, One Swiss, the other UK, lords of Prilosec, fiercely protected their cash cow with patent litigation tactics that would impress any Apple Lawyer. They took an off-patent drug and found a candy coating that made it time-release. After that went off patent, "Hey, here's something better: Prevacid!"

Didn't work. I had to switch back as I started having bloody stools (wrong dosage? who knows....)

The worlds largest buyer of pharma is... the US Medicare system.

Before the patents expired, Prilosec was, for me, a $12 a day prescription.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon