Reply to post: Are you sure

Dutch boyband hopes to reverse Brexit through the power of music

I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Are you sure

When you say Brexit can't be implemented without Parliament having a vote, haven't they already had it? The EU withdrawal bill already passed means that we're leaving on March 29th while putting all current EU regulations into force that aren't already in UK law. So Parliament can vote down May's deal, but that doesn't change the fact that we're leaving unless they vote to amend that act which is already passed. Plus Article 50 is in the EU treaties - so again, having notified that we're offski - it happens automatically in 2 years.

Not that MPs can't vote to change this. Would be very hard to force the government to enact new legislation and very easy to fillibuster a private member's bill. And international negotiation is a crown perogative, so Parliament would struggle to force a reluctant government to do what it wants. Even withdrawing Article 50, which we now know we can do unilaterally, requires the government to write a letter to the Council of Ministers withdrawing it. So MPs can vote to do it - and would need to by what I read of that ruling - but still couldn't force May if she didn't want to. They can vote no confidence in her government and force a general election - which might persuade the EU to hold up the deadline (can be agreed unanimously by Council of Ministers) but again doesn't that need the UK government to agree? And does the Brexit bill still have us leaving if not changed?

Lots of fun and games for experts on the Constitution to play with. But anyone who gives a simple solution to any Brexit problem is almost certainly either ignorant or a liar. Or both I suppose.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon