Reply to post: Re: 'Murica never ceases...

Oh Deer! Poacher sentenced to 12 months of regular Bambi screenings in the cooler

Robert Helpmann??
Childcatcher

Re: 'Murica never ceases...

I've been camping with shooters nearby lamping. Shining a light around, shooting at anything that reflects the light. Not safe, no idea if it was in season.

What would the advice be? I hear tell of having a gun for self defence, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable firing a long gun at another person if they were just being dangerous, and not actually trying to kill me.

Interesting. In the US, lamping is called spotlighting and is illegal in all cases that I am aware of. There may be some place that hunting at night is allowed, but I don't know of any.

While I get the idea of having a gun for self defense, the situation you describe is definitely not one where that would work. My advice is to remove yourself and anyone with you from danger as rapidly as possible and then to call the cops. Personally, if I feel that I might be headed toward a situation where I need a gun for defense, I am going to start looking for another place to be. I am fine with gun use for hunting and sport, but I don't want to be in an area where there is even the perceived need for their use against another person.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon