Reply to post:

Dev's telnet tinkering lands him on out-of-hour conference call with CEO, CTO, MD

My other car WAS an IAV Stryker

Some former co-workers may remember when we got a reminder to update our timecards every day at 2:00 via NET SEND if you hadn't updated it before then (policy was to put in the morning's time when leaving for lunch).

But the BOFH(s) on the first floor didn't secure that option from being used by anyone.

After some small tests to see if it worked between individual users, I put together a text list of department usernames and wrote a QBasic script (being a non-dev) that called the command line to send custom messages to everyone in the department, one at a time down the list. I believe I tried it once and I failed, but others may recall the trials.

It wasn't long after, especially after the rollout of Win7 (it was XP originally), that SEND was no longer functional. Both playtime and daily all-hands reminders ceased.

I hope to be remembered for the good things, like the custom powertrain module testing kits I had built, or the graphical "dashboards" that are highly useful in the chassis dynamometer control room to see live telemetry. Now I'm designing wire harnesses instead of playing with powerpacks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon