Reply to post: Re: Good for Charlemont!

Small American town rejects Comcast – while ISP reps take issue with your El Reg vultures

joed

Re: Good for Charlemont!

As much as I'd like to stick it to Comcast (and since all I can do is to limit my spend, I've done so), as much I dislike the tendency of (local) governments to levy taxes for things that are not exactly necessity (yep, broadband is nice to have but not really necessity). Here neither Comcast should get 400k$ nor the town should spend 1.4m$ out of someone's else pocket. All that should be done is to truly open the market instead of the usual granting concession to one big player (like Comcast). If someone likes to live off the grid (where nobody in their right mind would run data link) it is his/her choice but he/she can't have it both ways at the expense of the crowded quarters inhabitants (which had to compromise elsewhere to have easy access to "civilization"). And the percentage of voting public here indicates that either few was aware of the vote, had no time to go to pols (and soon will have less as the extra tax will have to paid and earned somehow) or is just disillusioned that their vote mattered (one way or another) - all of this possibilities are troubling but the norm for US.

Probably not in line with sentiment of the forum but I've grown tired of paying for pipe dreams (even these promising shiny new tech) while even the basic needs are barely take care of. Unfortunately this is not limited to government and it gets nearly impossible to avoid this inflation of obligations.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon