Reply to post: Re: @codejunky A minority

Space policy boffin: Blighty can't just ctrl-C, ctrl-V plans for Galileo into its Brexit satellite

codejunky Silver badge

Re: @codejunky A minority

@ sed gawk

"TL;DR; 52 % of < 100% is not a majority of the population."

Ahh you too seem to have got this wrong. What he said was- "minority vote to leave" which is an entirely different thing to population. Population for example includes kiddies too young to vote and those who choose not to vote (for whatever reason as is their choice). 52% of voters with an opinion = without grey area or question a majority. Just as 48% of voters with an opinion = without grey area or question a minority.

So either it was a majority vote to leave or you guys need a math lesson.

"voted on an advisory basis"

Did we? 1 GE to get a meaningful vote on our participation in the EU project, 1 referendum (the promised meaningful vote which the gov has gone along with) and a GE where the main remain party was almost wiped out.

"on something with rather more import and less understanding than might have been employed"

That I would agree. Both official campaigns were a complete disgrace and lied badly. The direct threats against the population by Osborne and the abuse of the governments position to rig the vote also being extremely shameful too. I would have preferred an honest campaign from both sides.

"you are unlikely to benefit from Brexit"

Ok. Assuming I believed that I do believe I would be worse off in the EU. I also didnt limit my vote to that either but instead looked at the issue as what I feel would be best for the country. I have debated those points many times which still leaves me believing I am right.

"I hope you can articulate what you think will improve our country, once the removal of our rights of free movement has been completed. "

Only on the basis of freedom of movement? Ok. First it isnt a right, no. Also your right to leave the country is not being removed, and the EU has also decided it will still accept people from the UK which was achieved before the EU anyway. My personal perspective is I have friends from around the world in the EU, Europe, Africa, Asia, US etc and they are all hard working and want to be here. Why are people from the EU better than the rest of the world? Why can my friends from the EU just come and grab a job (which they do well) while the others have to jump through hoops and are equally hard working?

So far however it is wage rises and the housing market coming back under control.

"I don't care, I voted why don't we just get on with it, why haven't we brought the ducking stool back yet."

That is a great example. That is again an inflated sense of self importance and why you might not like democracy where your vote is not worth more than anyone elses even if you feel that it is. I am sure people vote for the monster raving loony party but a single vote doesnt override everyone else just because of a belief in self importance.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon