Reply to post: Re: Interesting omission

IBM's Ginni Rometty snipes, er, someone for being irresponsible with data, haven't a clue who

devTrail

Re: Interesting omission

"Want to gather data about me? Get my permission. Want to store it in the cloud? Get my permission for that as well."

That's not enough because your permission will always based on limited knowledge of what is the amount of information your data can provide once it is correlated with other data. Keep in mind that all these businesses collect data by any means, there are also a lot of data which are not covered by the GDPR which can cross correlated with private details, moreover a lot of subsidiaries can provide data coming from different sources and BTW do you remember how Facebook acquired Whatsapp data with a ridiculously weak antitrust response? Could private citizens have known this in advance?

Basically there will always be information asymmetry leaving the private citizens unable to understand the real impact of the data they hand over. What we need is a serious antitrust regulation dedicate to any kind of data and information preventing excessive third party exchanges and preventing corporation from doing multiple businesses for the sake of gathering data. Think about Amazon that wants to set up a courier service, should a company then for some reason send a parcel to all their employees via this courier they would provide to Amazon name and address of a lot of people including those who never bought anything via Amazon thus strengthening their database. It could be even worse, like a council sending a letter to all the residents via Amazon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon