Reply to post: Re: AAC @128kbps

Analogue radio is the tech that just won't die

Mage Silver badge

Re: AAC @128kbps

Ha!

They'll switch to 64kbps AAC. Half the transmission cost. Because only "slightly poorer" than 128K MP2 Stereo (older DAB).

" MOST FM transmissions contain non-trivial non-linear distortion" Due to misuse of the compressor on "loudness wars". Not at all inherent. Here most Digital (DVB-T has more than twice the DAB coverage and in this part of Ireland the same line-up) uses same feed as the badly engineered feed to FM. The DTT and Satellite RTE seem to be using the same 128K now as DAB. I could be wrong.

What's the point of DAB when DVB-T and DVB-T2 has better coverage?

Also DAB favours national broadcasters with multiple channels (see SFN and DAB multiplex coverage vs a local Radio FM transmitter).

True national coverage is poorer on FM than AM and poorer still on DAB. This is why BBC R4 LW has the Cricket that is on DAB, spoiling R4 in areas with no VHF-FM, or when Satellite isn't practical.

I have three old satellite receivers and the legal £5 approx FM transmitters for phone/MP3 to car Radio. Lets me have continental stations in better quality than local DAB on my FM portables. Sometimes I feed one from the MP3 Library (must get a bigger SD card for phone!).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon