Reply to post: Re: easy pickings

What the #!/%* is that rogue Raspberry Pi doing plugged into my company's server room, sysadmin despairs

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: easy pickings

"I left a small IT company about ten years ago, and went back about three years ago for a short term contract.

My email (username) and password still worked."

Many years ago, I had set up the company network, servers etc and the last few weeks I was there I did some documentation.

About five years later I was working there again, but with lower rights than before, as it was a question of trust. Until the network went pearshaped, and no one else to look at it, I was given ..... the same documentation that I created five years earlier, with my hand written notes and passwords....

Another company wanted all the admin passwords written down, put in sealed envelopes and placed in a safe, just in case of emergency. My colleague did so, I was too busy and never got round to it.

A few weeks later, there was a meeting about a management buyout, staff will be laid off. While the meeting was going on, some weaselly PHB had opened the safe, took the envelope and changed passwords. My colleague was locked out of his systems and mine still worked.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon