Reply to post:

A 5G day may come when the courage of cable and DSL fails ... but it is not this day

eldakka

Given that the article mentions:

For example, there's no need for £240-a-year line rental. Overall Ovum estimates it's almost 50 per cent cheaper to deploy.

The article only mentions installation costs and line rental costs and deployment costs for the telco.

It does not mention data allowance costs or in fact whether there are tiered speed costs.

For example, swapping your current land line for a £20/mo LTE contract can currently get you a usage of 20GB/mo with EE, or even up to 100GB with Three.

20GB/month? For £20/mo? Seriously? That's better than or equivalent to landline? Even 100GB/mo?

Rubbish.

For my landline I pay about £60/month and get around 500GB/month. Note that is how much I use per month, the plan is actually unlimited, but I thought giving actual usage numbers versus hypothetical was more useful.

Unless they can match or better £60/month for 500GB/mo today, not in 2 years time when it'd probably have to be 750GB/mo or more likely 1TB/mo, then not interested.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon