Reply to post: No way ready!

Oi, Elon: You Musk sort out your Autopilot! Tesla loyalists tell of code crashes, near-misses

GeordieSteve

No way ready!

Until I have seen lorries and coaches using this technology on the motorways for a couple of years would I even trust it under similar circumstance.

When trying to develop firmware for such environments it is easy to overlook the noisy environment that the code is trying to interpret and basically over simplify the problems (especially if you have no real appreciation of the technology, that is probably you Mr Musk and the media in general).

We really are no where near trying to emulate a human response to an environment, we may perform the odd trick, but what the human body does is still beyond us.

I think of what we do as a wave, that hits our senses and propagates through a very complex filter and feedback system and on to the muscles etc. Neural networks are an approximation and probably the closest we have to a solution, but they are generally large, slow and basically an unknown quantity at the moment.

I feel fairly confident in saying that autonomous vehicles will happen, but the environment they work in will need to be structured to support them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon