Reply to post: Re: "made it a little surprising"

French president Macron insists new regulations needed to protect us all from Facebook's claws

Shadow Systems

Re: "made it a little surprising"

At Pascal Monett, re: FB's supposed invulnerability.

I disagree. All it takes is a country willing to nationally block all but VPN traffic to it, do a nation wide campaign of "FB is bad for you, bad for our economy, bad for Democracy, & we're blocking it for our protection" & FB will begin to die. It may only start as a single nation doing it, but if enough countries all decide to block the bastards it will hit FB right where it hurts: their shareholders.

I've said it before & I'll say it again. FB won't do a damn thing to change unless & until it makes the shareholders start howling for Zuck's head on a pike. Start costing their shareholders billions & not only will FB sit up & take notice, FB's own shareholders will serve up Zuck as a sacraficial lamb for the slaughter.

My own corrupt politicians won't do a fucking thing to stop him, they're too happy with the campaign contributions, but if someplace like France, Germany, or *the entire EU* decides enough is enough, all it will take is a ban stopping the bulk of their citizens from accessing the service to get their attention in a hurry.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon