Reply to post:

Bruce Schneier: You want real IoT security? Have Uncle Sam start putting boots to asses

h4rm0ny

On the contrary, goods where large improvements have ceased, can and do have lifespans much more than ten years. My TV is a 1080p and ten years old. New technologies like HDR mean an upgrade would have some value, but it's not enough for me to have done so. My cooker is around twenty years old. My fridge is only six years old but there's nothing a new fridge would have that would make me want to replace it. What do all these things have that sets them apart from computers, tablets, et al? The technology has reached the point where you buy for reliability and long-term value rather than new features.

Which is WHY I haven't bought a new TV. Because any new TV that would actually be an upgrade is now saddled with cameras, microphones, an OS (usually based on that famously secure platform Android) and my faith in it still working, being secure and compatible with everything else a decade from now is in the low %. Ditto for any fridge with WiFi or heating system that insists on running from an app on my phone. They may be secure today. They wont be five years from now (let alone ten),

Bruce Schneier is quite correct (as he always seems to be). We have a time-bomb of crappy security waiting for us. I'm personally going to make my TV, Fridge, Cooker, Heating System last the next ten years as well. Hopefully by then I'll be able to buy a TV that doesn't flash "Create your account" messages every time I turn it on until I give Samsung permissions to access it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon