Reply to post: ..which is exactly how a human child learns,

Mything the point: The AI renaissance is simply expensive hardware and PR thrown at an old idea

John Smith 19 Gold badge
Unhappy

..which is exactly how a human child learns,

I'm not sure we even know this.

For a start children have multiple input channels. We don't say "you" we point at them and say "you."

Likewise we know how primitive the brains hardware is, yet we don't think in those terms. "I'm learning algebra, I must reinforce the link weights of the cluster about 3cm in from my left ear."

We think in much higher, abstract forms.

So, somewhere between a lot of neurons with up to a 10 000 to one fan in (human brain) and "I am a person" is an intermediate level. Because artificial NN's make pretty good classifiers and filters they don't have to evolve beyond how they were designed, so why would their designers include a mechanism to evolve their internal representation?

IOW unless someone actually designs it in ANN's won't suddenly develop intelligence because there are no evolutionary pressures to do so (the architecture does the job well enough already) and no evolutionary mechanisms within the architecture to restructure it even if there were. I'm not talking weightings. I mean actual structure.

Where is the the virtual machine hiding in the neural network?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon