Reply to post: Re: Spurious conflicts within open source projects.

'Pure technical contributions aren’t enough'.... Intel commits to code of conduct for open-source projects

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Spurious conflicts within open source projects.

> CoCs lay out what is and isn't acceptable behavior in a project team.

Used to, some still do. For instance my company's code of conduct says you conduct yourself with professionalism, courtesy, honour and respect. It says we do not take nor offer bribes, we protect our customers' secrets, data and reputation, and it says you will not be blamed for fuck-ups (save malice or gross negligence).

What it doesn't say is what anyone should or should not think, vote, or like.

In my line of work we have Russian orthodox people working side by side with Dutch homosexuals in Saudi Arabia and it is very simple: everyone respects everyone else. Regardless of what else they may be, they are your colleagues first.

The subject of this article is not a code of conduct, it is a political manifesto, and as someone else said above, organisations coming up with these are usually the ones that have an inherently intolerant culture that they want to preserve. See Mozilla and Brendan Eich for instance, and show me where are Mozilla's Russian orthodoxes or Nigerian Christians¹ and how many homosexuals they have working in Saudi Arabia.

¹ We also have them. Pain in the arse when they start singing religious songs, but they're good at what they do.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon