Reply to post: Re: It's just not that hard to figure it out

'He must be stopped': Missouri candidate's children tell voters he's basically an asshat

NerryTutkins

Re: It's just not that hard to figure it out

I am not sure that is true.

I think the hard right people who were previously on the fringe but are now the mainstream have realized, just like fascists have through the ages, that the key to power is convincing the poor, angry people at the bottom that their problems aren't because of the rich billionaires trousering massive tax cuts and pork barrel money, but are instead because of those poor immigrants who're competing with them for crumbs thrown from the billionaires' tables.

I would bet that a significant number of Trump voters were not traditional republicans, but were exactly the kind of working class people with a lower educational level with some anger that can be channelled very easily and effectively by some simplistic promises to dish out some punishment to gays, blacks, jews, leftists, atheists, immigrants, etc.

What will be the interesting factor is how many traditional Republican voters (probably such as this guy's children) are intelligent and educated enough to be repulsed not just by the rhetoric from Trump and co, but the threats to the constitution (will Trump really attempt to abolish constitutional rights to citizenship by presidential decree, put god back into the classroom and mandate the US as a christian country, etc.?).

My bet is sadly that the far right with all their expensive analytics bought with Putin cash have crunched the numbers and know there are far more angry poorly educated bible thumping gun nuts than well educated, qualified professionals who believe in the American dream, the constitution and the rule of law.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon