Reply to post: One size does not fit all

I know what you're thinking: Outsource or in-source IT security? I've worked both sides, so here's my advice...

Pete 2 Silver badge

One size does not fit all

> You’re a small or mid-sized business.

The problem is that the term SME is applied to all companies of 250 employees or fewer. That is a huge range. From a small accountancy outfit up to a decent-sized manufacturing operation. And the set of requirements changes accordingly.

Most of those at the smaller end (for example: a garage, or shop) won't even have a full-time IT person. Even for the "large" SMBs such as those listed here with turnover (not profit) of £10million a year, a full time expert is out of the question.

SMBs account for 99% of UK companies and employ about half the workforce. I would suggest that what they need is something far cheaper, more streamlined and integrated. Since most small businesses will have largely similar IT requirements: website, payroll, back office, sales, VAT, stock control / inventory - and largely similar hardware and software (either a cloud or server - PC, plus third-party software), there would be a ready market for something that simply "does" all their security for them. Whether that would fully automate the work or simply list out what the IT person/people should do, would depend.

But I doubt many of the 5 million SMEs would be looking for a professional.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon