Reply to post: Riiight

Apple's launch confirms one thing: It's determined to kill off the laptop for iPads

DuncanLarge Silver badge

Riiight

So this delicate slab of glass can replace a laptop or my home tower PC?

So can it:

- Dual boot into GNU/Linux and windows or any hobby OS I can chuck at it?

- Access data I have backed up to optical disc without an adapter?

- Have a firewire card added to it so I can capture SD or HD video off my mini DV tapes.

- Connect to a scanner without an adapter.

- Rip any of my DVD's containing movies I have bought on the cheap from charity shops, without an adapter.

- Run a game I used to play on windows 95 running in a virtual machine.

- Develop applications using an IDE of my choice, in a language of my choice.

- Print stuff to a printer that does not have wifi, without an adapter.

- Keep itself cool while running at full speed all day while I render videos, compile some code and play that game on my VM.

- Connect to a surround sound system using a set of 3.5mm jack plugs or optical cables.

- Access the SD card that is used in almost every DSLR to this day.

- Connect to another ipad via ethernet cable to transfer user data across a gigabit connection faster than using the AC wifi that is already over used by other devices.

- Play Crisis?

- Allow me to add a serial RS232 port to it so I can program a PIC microcontroller using a home built programmer sold as a kit that is sold today on Amazon

- Let me use my IBM Model M keyboard for that retro clicky feel.

Yes, that slab of delicate glass containing components designed to overheat or expire after the warranty, that can not be repaired by myself without me being called a counterfeiter, that will be considered "vintage" by the manufacturer who will refuse to repair even the simplest of issues for less than the cost of a new machine, blatantly lying to my face in the shop, will replace my 2012 lenovo laptop that contains an i7 CPU or my Ryzen 5 6 core PC.

Pull the other one apple. My 2012 lenovo beats your ipad.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon