Reply to post: Re: It's called a laptop for a reason

Apple's launch confirms one thing: It's determined to kill off the laptop for iPads

Updraft102

Re: It's called a laptop for a reason

In airport lounges, hotel corridors and occasional bars, can I prop it on my lap? I've had several tablets and the Surface Pro was marginal, all others inadequate and that's before I start cursing the keyboards.

Aren't convertible devices inherently topheavy? In a real laptop, the guts of the device are in the base, and the screen is just the screen. On top of that, they often don't have (or need) touchscreens, making the lid/screen that much lighter.

On a convertible device, the keyboard is just the keyboard. The guts are all in the screen, and it necessarily has a touchscreen. They could add weights to the keyboard to balance it, but then it gets heavier to lug around.

I have an ultraportable laptop that isn't much thicker than an iPad, and it has the added advantage of having the fragile screen on the inside when it's closed, protected. I've never wished I had a large tablet while using it... of course, part of that may be that I don't like Apple, Google, or since 2015, Microsoft. I used to think them the lesser of the three evils before Windows 10.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon