Reply to post: No...just no.

Mac users burned after Nuance drops Dragon speech to text software

Someone Else Silver badge

No...just no.

While the software will continue to function, there will be no future updates or support, meaning Colin and others who have come to depend on Dragon for everyday activities will have to find another way to get things done.

I very strongly empathize with the Dragon-on-Mac folks, but the above statement is simply not true. Colin will "not have to find another way to get things done," as the current version of Dragon, which is installed on his machine, will continue to function. So he, and others in this boat, will continue to be able to avail themselves of the current functionality of Dragon for as long as the dipshits at Apple don't create a new, weekly version of OSX that explicitly disables this program. (Yes, it is possible, and yes, Apple is quite capable of doing just that.) Heck, I'm still successfully using Windows XP on one of my home machines...and guess what? Even though Micros~1 "no longer supports" XP, damned if it doesn't still work!

As a developer of both Windows and Mac software, I am fully aware of the problems inherent in creating cross-platform software. I believe the folks at Nuance when they say that Apple has locked them out of certain APIs that they feel are necessary for the full functionality of their product. Developing for the Mac is a hemorrhoid. Still many Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs) from folks like Steinberg, Mark of the Unicorn, Cakewalk, Arturia, and many others seem to be able to make high-quality audio software that works on both Windows and Mac. Perhaps Nuance needs to hire (or at least, work with) some of these folks to manage their problem. The problem is admittedly difficult...but not unsolvable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon