Reply to post: Re: Nah.

The best way to screw the competition? Do what they can't, in a fraction of the time

MonkeyCee

Re: Nah.

I'll also note that it's a bad idea to judge anyone on appearances.

The only people I've known well who are actual self made millionaires spend most of the time looking flat broke. Old car, cheap serviceable clothes, clipper hair cuts, sarnies for lunch. Same for some of those who inherited a telephone number amounts, although those were mainly in the countryside, and everyone dresses the same when you've got mud below and rain above.

My main bank deals mainly with farmers. So I've walked into a business loan application meeting literally stinking of pig shit and got approved. The loan officer did politely offer for us to step outside for the formalities and had a preventive cancer stick to deal with it, but otherwise handled it very well.

It's far easier to look broke and prove that you have money than the other way around. It's also always possible someone is having a bad day.

Quite frankly if I want to get a measure of how someone (contractor or employee) will perform, I'd rather see them on a shit day rather than on their best day, as that will tell me more about their character and composure.

Oh, and I concur with jake's "No shits" policy. One of the few perks of being self employed is being able to pick your clients.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon