Reply to post: One of the options on the Microsoft Support forum recommended to use Pinform's Recuva (free).

Zip it! 3 more reasons to be glad you didn't jump on Windows 10 1809

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

One of the options on the Microsoft Support forum recommended to use Pinform's Recuva (free).

Reading Microsoft support forums regarding the bug that deletes the files in the documents directory, it recommended installing and using Pinform's Recuva file recovery software to recover the files.

Forgetting the obvious, that the MS Windows 10 1809 install would have overwritten most of the file clusters on the disk. I decided to just test the basic recovery offered by Pinform Recuva. I installed Pinform's Recuva.

I copied an everyday executable into the documents folder, rebooted the machine (to make sure the file was persistent, not in any cache), then right clicked on the file holding down shift and deleted the file.

I then attempted to use Pinform's Recuva to find said file. It found nothing. Maybe it's because the disk is an SSD, but Windows 1803 seems to wipe all trace of said file, in terms of this utility.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon