Reply to post: The high levels of change seen in other languages is exactly what kept devs at Java ...

'We broke a few things and will continue to do so... in a careful way' – Oracle's Reinhold on Java renovation work

EricM
WTF?

The high levels of change seen in other languages is exactly what kept devs at Java ...

At least the ones doing the the big, complex, "ugly" stuff that is used as code infrastructure.

It wasn't (at least for me) only about "write once run anywhere", but also about "run anytime in the future". The JVM served as a firewall against OS changes. Today I still have code in production that dates back to very early in the 21st century...

In that sense the time-stability and upward compatibility of the Java VM and its toolchain made Java a platform, not only a language.

Add new things: fine, I might of might not start to use it, but my existing code still runs.

Break "a few things", even if you claim it is done in a considerate way: WTF?

Dear Oracle: If you continue to break things in Java claiming you have to respond to a perceived competition from other languages, you wil end up destroying the platform, that once was Java.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022