Reply to post:

PC version of Linux 4.19 lands with PC version of Linus Torvalds: Kernel handed back to creator

jake Silver badge

As a guy who has been contributing to the kernel on and off for nearly a quarter century[0], Paul has it pretty much correct. Essentially, the only folks bitching about Linus getting sweary HAVE NOT been subject to the swearing. In other words, they are upset on behalf of other folks[1]. And most of the time, the other folks have actually (finally) admitted their error, (finally) fixed it, and the rest of us mutter "about time, bone head!" and life continues. The swearing is a last resort.

And no, it has never made me feel intimidated about contributing to the kernel. Why not? Simple. Because when it is pointed out that I made a mistake, I fix it without bitching about it, that's why. It's really not a big deal. Unless the developer in question chooses to make it a big deal, that is. In other words, said developer doesn't play well with others, and insists on doing it his/her way.

Frankly I'm surprised that Linus has been as tolerant as he has been all these years ... If it was my name attached to the project, I'd have really lit into a few of the idiots ... And you commentards who haven't actually spent any time contributing to the kernel, your opinions on the subject are worthless. Come back after you've walked a few miles in my moccasins and I might find your commentardary on the subject worth listening to.

[0] Edit: I just checked my records and it's actually just a hair over a quarter century. Time flies when you're having fun!

[1] Which is a cardinal sin as far as I'm concerned ... As an adult, I don't need or want anybody else being upset on my behalf, thank you very much.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon