Reply to post: Re: Word of mouth.

UK defence secretary ponders £50m hit to terminate Capita recruiting contract

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Word of mouth.

It's not a completely normal recruitment system, but if people had taken the first six months requirements gathering from all prospective users then it should have been delivered easily by a couple of years ago.

AC because of how I know this stuff.

I experienced the old ways. So wandered into a recruiting office manned by NCOs and taken through the process. So got to watch some introductory videos and ask the staff questions. Then the standard aptitude tests, more videos about the trades available, and the room emptying as candidates left based on their scores. Then being sent off to my chosen Corps for them to take a look. And do more tests. And then finally standing before god (ok, an RSM), swearing my oath and taking the Queen's shilling.

So the process took time & resources, but as a candidate, it was good to be able to speak to people who were in the job, and presumably good for them to get a look at a potential recruit. With the new system, a lot of that seems to have vanished and replaced by side-channels like ARRSE's guides for noobs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon