Reply to post:

UK's National Cyber Security Centre gives itself big ol' pat on the back in annual review

Not-My-Real-Name
Trollface

I only have to go onto a search engine like Bing and type "DVLA phone" and get potential phishing websites like https://www.drivinglicenceguide.co.uk/ who also charge 7p a minute whilst I fret about whether they are secretly recording all the personal info including how rich I am when buying a personal number plate. Organised international crime collates data and shares (for a price) just like the 14-Eyes.

Of course DVLA could play a message at the beginning for each of their phone lines, something like "DVLA driving licence department only runs the phone number XYZ and if you have got through to this phone number XYZ by using a different number to hang up and dial XYZ" this way the scammers can be shut off by all but the stupid. The same could be done for all national or local govt phone numbers and any other business that might be handling pertinent information like TalkTalk who still insist they haven't been hacked!

Tip. Use a different email address for every entity you have to give an email address to and watch the spam come rolling in even when you choose to stay off mailing lists. I'm also suspicious of Dell's EMC emailing facility, perhaps there is hardware analysis taking place which makes EMC so effective. YMMV.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon