Reply to post: Re: Samsung bait and switch

Samsung: Swanky hardware alone won't save a phone maker

Nate Amsden

Re: Samsung bait and switch

Same for me, though a Note 3(my first Android device). Not every hour but usually 2 or 3 times a day it asks me to accept their new terms. I don't know if it's been 1 year or 2 years but I have no need to accept their terms I am not using any of their services, so I just clear the notification. Would be nice of course to be able to permanently decline so they stop asking.

AT&T is not quite as bad at pestering me to upgrade my OS, though their pestering comes in waves, for a few weeks they may ask me once or twice a day to upgrade, then they stop asking for a month or more. I have the latest Android from AT&T on another Note 3(5.0 from 2016) and I see no reason to upgrade my main phone, especially because I'd lose a critical feature of being able to mute the phone from the lock screen using the power button(which in itself was a downgrade in abilities from previous WebOS phones), something I do on a regular basis as my phone is also a pager for my on call stuff. I've kept wifi on my main phone for the most part disabled for the past two years to prevent automatic upgrades (at least on this vintage of phone upgrades require a wifi connection). In the early days I would turn wifi on when I needed it then off again, forgot a couple times and caught the phone mid automatic upgrade(sneaky bastards), till I killed wifi and the upgrade aborted. Now(well past ~18 months at least) with unlimited data don't really need wifi.

About to enter it's 6th year of service the only issue with my main Note 3 is the gyroscope and light sensors(assuming probably clustered together) started failing maybe a year ago. I replace the battery once a year, and maybe new screen protector every 2 years. I have a 2nd Note 3 that gets pretty heavy usage as well (Wifi only unless I'm traveling overseas), I bought that maybe four years ago and that has no issues other than I prefer Android 4.4 to Android 5(tried downgrading it one time couldn't get past KNOX).

The highest end Note 9 has me interested, though not in a rush at this time. I'd love an updated Note in the same form factor/design as the Note3 or Note 4(I have one of these too though rarely use it), but I guess that'll never happen.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon