Reply to post:

Yale Weds: Just some system maintenance, nothing to worry about. Yale Thurs: Nobody's smart alarm app works

Lee D Silver badge

"I’m an engineer, I work in IT, this is not acceptable. Who signed this work off? What was the rollback plan ? Call yourselves a security company ? Shameful. @BBCBreaking @Channel4News @BBCRadio4 @CNN @Reuters here is a story for you! I can’t enter my property I only have the App!"

Gosh. You'd think a guy who worked in IT would understand the importance of a way to enter when the app went down, really wouldn't you? I mean, backups and resiliency, and all that. I wonder if he even has two Internet connections at home in case one fails and he can't get back in?

People like this annoy me greatly - I work in IT and though Yale might be damn shoddy, for sure I wouldn't be embarrassing myself saying "I have no other way to get into my property except a smartphone app dependent on a third-party". For a start, I'd have a manual key lock or a bypass code on a secondary lock that overrode it, even if I never really needed to use it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon