Reply to post: Marketing materials have echo

Databricks pushes machine learning on easy mode: Rock star data scientist, meet sweaty engineer

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Marketing materials have echo

This isn't the first time I've seen an analytics outfit completely echo the screams of businesses unable to deploy big data tools... KNIME comes to mind amongst a bunch of others. The sales hook is solid. But once again the real problems with organisations and mantronic processes are forgotten. Segregated databases designed in isolation, different naming schema, dissimilar but associated record keeping. "Fixing" those problems means wholesale system change on a large scale - not going to happen, sorry. Cost-benefit doesn't stack up. Come up with tools to let me plug those disparate worlds together and then analytics could come to life.

In practice I've found the most powerful technique is dumping contents of various enterprise DBs into SQLLite then gluing them together for hacking in Python and Numpy. Unless you can reduce the skills requirements needed to do what I've just described, then the mantronic solution is going to win every time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon