Reply to post: Re: DevOps?

How an over-zealous yank took down the trading floor of a US bank

StargateSg7

Re: DevOps?

I think we called that a Client/Server Model of Computing like BACK IN THE DAY of 1980's era IBM AS-400 or even the 1960's/1970's era VAX-780 and IBM 360 mainframe. DevOps is basically Top-Down development and VERY BASIC 1950's era Systems Analysis.

a) Define the business problem you're trying to solve.

b) Define the FUNCTIONALITY of current or new components needed to solve a part of the overall business problem. (i.e. Do we need hardcopy printing, email, calendar functions, streaming videophones, SMS/instant messaging, calendar input, etc)

c) Define the TYPES of processing modules NEEDED to solve each require functionality as defined above. (i.e. print PDF reports, Enter data via touch screen or keyboard, send email to clients on POP server, use RTSP for video, etc)

d) Define the functionality of sub-components needed within each large-scale component

(buy RTSP DLL from Datastead for video streaming, use Thunderbird components for email,

code custom data entry screen in-house, use PDF generator component in compiler, etc)

e) Code, Link and Combine components into test runtime folder

f) test on SEPARATE MACHINE with SEPARATE TEST DATA ONLY!!!!!!!

DO NOT USE LIVE DATABASE !!!

g) test 1000 times with local admin department heads and team of each component and data entry and processing module over 3 months.

h) Do bug report log and send back for recode and retesting of 'E" and "F" and "G" over another 60 days.

i) Get Go-ahead for One-Branch-Office-at-a-Time deployment with initial two weeks allocated for in-house training and another two weeks of real-time use per office for real-world feedback and fixes.

If no major issues, then go ahead and use same two-week training and two week real world test schedule for next three months at another three branch offices.

j) If no major problems at the four branch offices, then roll out to ABOTHER four branch offices at the same time again with two week training and two weeks in-office testing until all offices update to new version of application. Update ONLY four branch offices at a time and train/test for 30 days!

h) Shut down last database from old system ONLY AFTER ALL OFFICES are converted but still keep on online version of the old software on ONE machine in every branch office connected to a separate head office server for at least one year as backups just in case something BAD happens to new system!

i) do a 3 month, 6-month and 1 year review of each office interviewing certain users personally on fixes or updates required for next app update version. Send responses back to coders and management for review and add-in and THEN DO ANOTHER office-by-office rollout but with an accelerated one week of in-house training and two weeks of testing for NEW bugs.

THAT is how you do a PROPER Roll-out of a new app using Top-Down Modeling and Deployment!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon