Reply to post:

First it was hashtags – now Amber Rudd gives us Brits knowledge on national ID cards

Staycator

Rudd is true to type here; after all, she has form. Almost immediately on becoming Home Secretary her first action was to block calls for a Hillsborough-style official enquiry into the policing of Orgreave during the miners' strike. The statement-rewriting abuses and other information massaging techniques at Hillsborough were learned and honed during the strike. It took the BBC six years to issue a well-buried apology for its 'accidental' reversal of news footage, so that the outrage of riot-unequipped lads in T-shirts and trainers after an unprovoked horseback charge was made to look like a yobbish attack followed by a defensive response by the well-kitted brave bobbies. Most people in Britain aren't even aware that the apology was issued, but they remember that initial dramatic footage all right.

Way too much dirty linen there by half, and Rudd knows it.

For all her many faults, I don't believe Theresa May would have been so bad over Orgreave. On balance I reckon she might have been party to the same cover-up, but not before a lot of hand-wringing, certainly not with the same indecent haste, and she might even have surprised me. She was brave enough to stand up to the USA over the Gary McKinnon extradition demands, and suffered a few planted stories in the media in the few weeks before her decision was announced of supposed rumblings in government circles questioning her competence.

Rudd's bizarre ID card arguments reek of contracts already largely in place, and maybe future directorships too.

She is (dishonestly) right about one thing though. Most people in Britain don't read the small print and salivatingly click the button to get the latest app in use by their peer group. I find it depressing. But since when was life condemned to be a race to the bottom with the standards of conduct set by the stupid?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon