Reply to post: Re: Block IE and Edge @Updraft

Microsoft: You don't want to use Edge? Are you sure? Really sure?

Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Block IE and Edge @Updraft

For my own use, I am completely Windows free.

I do dual-boot my laptop, and I did boot into Windows a few weeks back to check (and fix fix) it after I migrated the whole system to an SSD (and I put the latest Windows patches on), but other than that, all my day-to-day computing is Linux or UNIX only.

I agree that it is about the applications you run, but to claim re-training your staff is a reason is just FUD.

Windows has some serious advantages at an Enterprise level (AD, Policy Director, Sharepoint [or whatever it's called now]), but for many organizations a sensible and properly resourced Linux implementation is possible. Where I've seen this, though, it often only takes one person in authority (or who is able to be influenced) to push for a return to windows strategy for this to happen (see the background in the Munich City travesty - exactly why did Microsoft choose to become a major employer close to Munich?)

No, unfortunately Microsoft still have far to much influence so that (native) Linux will never have it's day on the desktop. Chromebooks, however...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon