Reply to post: ID Cards have only one purpose.

First it was hashtags – now Amber Rudd gives us Brits knowledge on national ID cards

Radio Wales
Flame

ID Cards have only one purpose.

We went through all this with Uncle Tony and so dyed-in-the-wool Labour supporters voted Tory to kill it. Remember? Maybe the pendulum can swing back again.

Admittedly we regretted it later, we should have settled for going to jail for refusing - it would have been a lot less painful in the long run.

ID cards = Identity cards. And they are something we would use to confirm that we are who we say we are. End of argument.

OK we give up our info to people every day of the week. But most of that information is disposable, we can jettison it if we have to and start again, whereas biometrics are not something that can be swapped out like spark-plugs every time the Government data store is hacked.

All that juicy information in one easy-to-reach place? Government record of IT security being what it is, it would be hacked daily by everyone on the planet with a computer.

I for one, don't like the idea of my medical records being available to everyone who cares to ask - especially if they only want to know where I live.

I don't have a problem with an ID card IF all it does is confirm that I am really me.

But they'll never settle for that will they?

Looks like it's time to dust off my No2ID certificate and reserve my cell again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon